Date: June 18
Time: 14:00 – 18:00
“GreenMind: Designing Future-Ready Learning for Sustainability” workshop aligns with the UNESCO Education 2030 Agenda and the United Nations’ call for Education for Sustainable Development (ESD) . It emphasizes reorienting education to contribute to sustainable development, crucial in this decisive decade for achieving the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) . This workshop responds to the urgent need for integrating sustainability into education. It equips participants with the knowledge, skills, values, and attitudes necessary to address educational challenges related to environmental, social, and economic sustainability, directly correlating with the objectives of the 17 SDGs. These challenges include developing curricula that foster sustainable thinking, creating learning environments that inspire responsible action, and preparing students to effectively contribute to a sustainable future. Participants will gain hands-on experience in innovative curriculum and learning design strategies, empowering them to develop and implement educational experiences that are not only SDG-compliant but also highly effective in realizing tangible sustainability outcomes in the real world.
Incorporating ESD principles and the CoDesignS framework , “GreenMind” emphasizes holistic, learner-centered approaches and transformative learning environments. The CoDesignS framework extends beyond traditional ESD competencies, integrating cognitive, socio-emotional, and behavioral domains – head, heart, and hands. The workshop focuses on three pillars: key sustainability competencies, specific SDG learning objectives, and transformative pedagogies and teaching methods. Through interactive sessions, case studies, and group activities, the workshop will provide participants with the knowledge, skills, strategies and tools to develop actionable plans for implementing ESD and craft educational experiences that are cognitively rich, emotionally engaging, and behaviorally impactful and which enable learners of the future to make informed decisions and act responsibly towards environmental integrity, economic viability, and a just society, respecting cultural diversity.
GreenMind empowers educators and curriculum designers to be agents of transformation, forging sustainable and impactful learning pathways that resonate with the vision of education as a key enabler of all SDGs.
Background and themes
- Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs)
- Education for Sustainable Development (ESD)
- Green Education
- CoDesignS Framework
- Transformative Pedagogy
Goals & Objectives
- Introduce the concept of sustainability, ESD and UNESCO 2030 Agenda.
- Gain a clear understanding of global SDGs and their importance in education.
- Acquire knowledge of the CoDesignS framework and its application in educational settings.
- Learn to integrate cognitive, socio-emotional, and behavioral aspects into teaching for a wellrounded
approach to sustainability education.
- Gain skills in designing and implementing curricula that embody ESD principles and transformative pedagogies.
- Equip participants with the tools and confidence to be change-makers in their educational environments, aligning with sustainability goals.
Prof. Eman AbuKhousa, PhD
Prof. Eman AbuKhousa is a Certified Bootcamp Mentor and CoDesignS ESD Trainer by the Association for Learning Design and Education for Sustainable Development (ALDESD), in collaboration with UNESCO International Institute for Higher Education in Latin America and the Caribbean (IESALC), UNESCO Greening Education Partnership, UNICEF Office of Innovation, and the Higher Education Sustainability Initiative (HESI). Her extensive research in improving educational outcomes and designing transformative learning experiences has established her as a leading figure in higher education.
With over 15 years of experience in academia, research, and consultancy, Prof. AbuKhousa is an accomplished data science specialist known for her innovative strategies and solutions that enhance higher education outcomes. She is deeply committed to preparing learners to act as global citizens and equipping them with the skills needed to meet the challenges of a rapidly changing world.
Prof. AbuKhousa’s research portfolio is marked by her firm belief that education is a debt owed from the present to future generations, and that education is the pivotal means to transform the world. Her research embodies a commitment to sustainable development, leveraging concepts such as global competencies, experiential learning, collective intelligence, communities of practice, data science, and advanced technologies to enrich learning experiences and foster a new era of educational practices. She has been instrumental in integrating cutting-edge technological insights within a sustainable and socially responsible educational framework. This innovative intersection not only showcases her dedication to advancing education but also her deep-seated belief in the transformative power of learning, shaping a sustainable future for the global community.
Dr. Heba AbuKhousa, PhD
Dr. Heba AbuKhousa, Assistant Professor and Head of the Environment and Sustainability Club at Mohammed bin Zayed University for Humanities, UAE. She holds a Ph.D. in Bioorganic chemistry from the United Arab Emirates University, and has dedicated more than a decade to creating unique educational experiences in the field of environmental education.
In recognition of her outstanding teaching skills, Dr. Heba received the Excellence in Teaching Award from Ajman University. Her passion for sustainability and waste management extends beyond the classroom, as she is an active member of the Awareness and Education Team affiliatedwith the Emirates Environmental and Municipal Council.
Dr. Heba played a pivotal role as a member of the UAE delegate to the United Nations ClimateChange Conference (COP27) – Sharm El Sheikh 2022, and was an active participant in the UnitedNations Climate Change Conference (COP28) – Dubai 2023. Throughout the conference, sheassumed key roles, moderating, coordinating and panelist in six different sessions. It is worthnoting that its focus was on the importance of integrating environmental education into highereducation institutions. Dr. Heba has passionately also advocated for green education, emphasizedthe importance of empowering women through soft energy, explored pioneering sustainability foryouth, and critically examined green initiatives on campus. Through her multi-faceted role, Dr.Heba is a driving force for integrating Education for Sustainable Development (ESD) principles andSustainable Development Goals (SDGs) into educational settings.
- Academics, researchers, and professionals in education focused on green education and or ESD.
- Instructional designers aiming to integrate sustainability into curriculum design
- Graduate students from Education colleges, presenting an opportunity to launch joint research
projects in green education.
- Education policymakers and leaders who influence and implement ESD strategies in educational
- Members of the learning community with an interest in ESD and green education.
Call for Papers / Participation
In alignment with the urgent global call for sustainable education, the ‘GreenMind: Designing Future-Ready Learning for Sustainability’ workshop invites submissions that explore innovative and impactful approaches to Education for Sustainable Development (ESD). We seek contributions that not only align with the UNESCO Education 2030 Agenda but also demonstrate practical applications in shaping a sustainable future through education. This call invites academics, practitioners, and policymakers to contribute their insights and research on integrating sustainability into educational frameworks and practices.
The topics of the workshop will be covering but not limited to the following:
- Strategies for embedding UNESCO’s ESD principles and CoDesignS framework in curriculum
- Case studies on transformative pedagogies for ESD.
- Innovative methods for teaching key sustainability competencies.
- Research on educational leadership’s role in advancing sustainable development goals (SDGs).
- Evaluating the impact of ESD initiatives on local and global sustainability challenges.
- United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO). (2020). Education for sustainable development: A roadmap.
- United Nations. (n.d.). Sustainable Development Goals. https://sdgs.un.org/goals
- Ahmad, N., Toro-Troconis, M., Ibahrine, M., Armour, R., Tait, V., Reedy, K., … & Inzolia, Y. (2023). CoDesignS Education for Sustainable Development: A Framework for Embedding Education for Sustainable Development in Curriculum Design. Sustainability, 15(23), 16460.